Monday, February 6, 2012

My M.O.

This is where I introduce myself. So, that's where we'll start. I'm Nick.

I'm training for my first marathon. Of course, like most people, I get to juggle life and making sure I don't lose my job with training. It's not easy, but it's not too interesting when more than 500,000 people are training for marathons and doing the same thing too.

So, to make it more interesting to you, I have the added pleasure of training for a marathon while also managing type 1 diabetes (obviously not by choice) and a vegetarian diet (by obstinate choice). There are certainly people doing the same thing (see: Team Type 1), but I've never been able to observe the process of someone working through the difficulties of marathon training as a diabetic and vegetarian.

I want that to change for others out there. I want others to know it is possible to do whatever you want in spite of diabetes, but to understand it's a process --- a process that anyone with diabetes can complete with patience and persistence.

And so over the ensuing blog posts, I plan to post about the plans and methods I utilize to make sure I control my diabetes and glucose levels, to ensure I'm nutritionally fulfilled while maintaining my vegetarian diet, and to make sure I'm as fast as I can be come marathon day.

No comments:

Post a Comment