Monday, June 17, 2013

A Not-Quite-Valient Return

This is meant to serve as some resurrection of this blog. I managed to let it fall by the wayside once I got injured a bit over a year ago. I don't know if this means it will stay this time. But I do know that in the intervening year, I've developed as a runner, vegetarian, and diabetic. That doesn't necessarily make any of this more fun to read, but we'll see how it goes.

My plan is to begin updating once a week with summaries of my previous training week. I'm not even going to speculate whether that will be interesting in any way. But hopefully, it will include some photos here and there from the many hours I spend running and maybe some other interesting items.

But I guess I should begin with where I've been in the past year and kind of reintroduce myself.

I'm Nick. Of interest to this blog, I've been a type 1 diabetic since the age of 10. Since that diagnosis, I grew up. I started running distance events in track in middle school and briefly into high school. There was a brief spell of football in the mix, followed by several years of sedentary laziness until I graduated high school, at which point I discovered road cycling. I rarely raced, except for a wildly mediocre stint in college, but did complete a coast-to-coast ride the summer after I graduated college. After college, where I earned a physics degree, I moved to Madison, WI, in order to obtain advanced degrees in astronomy, where I am now as a Ph.D. candidate. While I've been here, I've discovered bicycle commuting and the bicycle as a tool for travel. Coincident with this, I've begun to eschew the racing culture of bicycles I so wholeheartedly embraced in college. A byproduct of this shift away from cycling as a sport was taking up running as a sport again – the first sport I really cared about.

I don't run on the track anymore, though. I tried running on roads for a while but found it disagreeable for a variety of reasons. That's when I discovered trail running. It fit much more easily into what I want to achieve with my running, which isn't a whole lot specifically. But it allows me to run in the absence of cars, on surfaces soft enough that my body can handle heavy mileage, and to just enjoy the aesthetic nature of the experience.

As I've done this, I've developed a set of rules for running that work extremely well for me. But I've also learned that much of running and what works for you is an experiment of one. Rarely, do I expect what works for me to work for others. But I've taken a lot of others' advice to develop the rules that work for me. If this works like it actually should, those rules should become evident over time.

Now, for the pressing concern of the immediate future, I should explain that with my failed attempt to complete a marathon a year (see every previous post), I took a month or two off from running, traveled around the world a bit, and slowly built my body back up which resulted in my shift to trail running. Granted, I still run a fair amount of mileage on the road, but I try to limit that to runs less than 8-ish miles, as I've found my body just doesn't handle the repetitive stresses of the road well.

But as I built my body back up, it got stronger, and I like to think I did it in a smarter way than previously. And at some I got faster. That culminated in a top 10 performance in a small (heavy emphasis on the small) 10K trail race last fall. Then, I decided to just start running longer and longer on the trails, just to see how far I could run. After a base building period in the (very long) winter, I started beefing up my mileage to where I'm all of a sudden running 40-50 miles a week with long runs regularly coming in at the 20 mile range.

And now I've decided to skip the marathon thing and go straight to a 50 mile ultra. This is usually met with incredulity. But it's happening. And my immediately forthcoming training summaries will center on building for that race in the fall. We'll see how it goes and see if I manage to develop a style. I find it highly unlikely, but someone other than my fiancĂ© should probably have to put up this. At least you have the option to read or not. I don't really expect you to though.   

No comments:

Post a Comment